Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Miss Miller's Poetry Unit

Hello there, and welcome back!

Today's post is something rather exciting. So welcome to my online classroom! This post's topic of discussion is a 5th grade English class who is currently in their poetry unit! My tool for today is podcasts! A podcast is an audio recording that can be downloaded and listened to outside of the classroom. For my purposes today I created two series of podcasts. The first discusses different types of literal imagery and the second talks about more figurative imagery devices such as similes, metaphors, and personification! As a teacher I would post this on my classroom blog and assign the students to listen to them as homework, and possibly create a worksheet or activity to go a long with the audio tracks.




Pros: I love the fact that this tool is very different from the other tools we have used before on my previous blog posts. I also like that this tool is strictly audio. I feel as though it would be a nice change of pace in the classroom and would add some variety to in/out of class activities. There are several free apps you can use to do voice recordings, and several places online to upload and store you audio tracks. Podcasts are fun, you even get to feel like a radio talk show host in your own classroom! I can see this tool being very helpful in many subjects,

Cons: It took me awhile to get what I wanted to say just right. This tool takes quite a bit of preparation and know-how. However, if you are good with apps and cloud-type programs this is the tool for you!

  • ISTE Standard: Creative Communicator
    • I communicate effectively and express myself creatively using different tools, styles, formats, and digital media.
  • UEN Content Standard: English Language Arts- 5th Grade
    • Standard 4 "Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes"
  • Ed Tech Standard: Standard no. 5
    • Use technology tools (e.g., multimedia authoring, presentation, web tools, digital cameras, scanners) for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and publishing activities to create knowledge products for audiences inside and outside the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment